What makes a good brand?
There’s an important relationship between the strength of a company’s brand and its overall success. As a branding agency, at Shark Communications, our client brand strategies often focus on supporting long-term brand success while ensuring consistency across current marketing communications. To help client marketing managers get started on their own with internal brand conversations, we've sometimes provided this brand questionnaire that was originally published two decades ago.
1. Tell us about your brand.
- Does your company have a brand identity?
- Does it market several brands?
‣ How important is a strong brand to your business?
2. A great brand is in for the long haul.
- Has your marketing more often focused on the short-term gains or the long-term growth of your brand?
3. A great brand knows itself.
‣ Does your company have a strong grasp of its identity?
‣ How well does it know who it is and what it isn’t?
‣ Does your company know how others perceive it?
4. A great brand taps into emotions.
‣ How much emotion is elicited by your brand?
‣ Has there been an emotional quality to your marketing?
5. A great brand is a story that’s never completely told.
‣ Does your brand have a story?
Has the story evolved over time?
6. A great brand has a design consistency.
‣ How well connected are the visual expressions of your company’s brands or brand identity?
7. A great brand is relevant.
‣ Does your brand connect with the needs and desires of people’s lives today?
- Has your brand evolved and remained contemporary?